Tuesday 1 January 2013

A Day in the Life of My Loom

This is an annual 1st January event started by Meg where weavers around the world post photos of their looms on New Year's day. I expect most weavers have cloth on their looms, due to a series of foot/knee/ankle problems my floor loom has not been in used for weaving for some while. With the aid of an excellent physiotherapist that should not be the case for much longer.

What is on my loom here is - on the back beam,  a collection of recently spun skeins of yarn that I washed to set the twist a couple of days ago (a range of coloured merino and alpaca blends) on the top bar a few woven bands (right), a couple of skeins of handspun white Portland and a beautiful stole I have been wearing woven by one of my weaving friends, Mavis Lakin, in plain weave and showing Mavis' incredible talent for putting together yarns and colours. The warp is a Collinette boucle yarn, I'm not sure of the fibre content, and the weft is a darker varigated wool yarn. It feels wonderful and drapes most elegantly.


Behind the loom are boxes and bags of fibre and yarn and a box with a few spindles (on the left).

Work in progress today includes spindle spinning a merino and silk blend (one of those from the New Zealand spinning wheel makers, Ashford) and a knitted cowl from my own handspun yarns (the pattern by Elizabeth Lovick is in YarnMaker no. 12). The red wool in the cowl is left from a scarf I wove for my Mother for Christmas 2009.



Best wishes to all for the New Year - 2013!

6 comments:

Laura Fry said...

Sorry to hear about the injury. Wishing you good health for the coming year. :)
cheers,
Laura

Meg said...

Goodness me, I love love love the skeins on your loom - I'm mixing and matching them in my head already.

And the silk on your spindle is lovely.

I hope you get to weave something in 2013. Have a lovely year, Dot.

Jane said...

Wow, the spindle silk/merino yarn looks beautiful

Trapunto said...

Delicious colors, I can only imagine the textures. I love it whenever you post, even if your loom isn't in action! Best of luck with the physiotherapy.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jane - that fibre is gorgeous. And my looms are all empty too, every single one!

Peg Cherre said...

We all do what we can. Physical injury is a definite monkey wrench in the weaving works.

The cowl is lovely - I knit one, too, but haven't manage to post it yet.

And I'm ALWAYS impressed with spinners! I've tried a few times with AWFUL results - yours looks so smooth & even - drool, drool.