Thursday 3 September 2009

Japanese Indigo, part 2.

In the centre of this photo is a pale jade yarn which I dyed a week after the other yarns, in the remains of the dyebath.
When I finished the first dye session I had poured a very yellow looking solution back into my Kilner jar. I wondered whether it was very yellow because of becoming over reduced, and whether there was any dye left. The instructions that were given to me with the plant seeds suggested that a final item could be left in the dyebath over night to pick up any remaining colour. However, too tired to bother with this, I left the jar for a week.

After a week, I wondered whether to dispose of the dyebath, but I still had a couple of skeins of yarn that I'd prepared and not used and the dye bath had regained a greenish tint. I decided to have a go, after all, if I didn't like the result I could always over-dye another time.

Looking at the yarn in this dyebath, I really did wonder if anything would happen!

But it did - this is what happened when I pulled the skeins out and the dye oxidised:


10 comments:

Laura Fry said...

How quickly does the colour change happen? I did do some indigo dyeing many moons ago, but can't remember......

Dorothy said...

Hi Laura, I have another pot of leaves ready to do more dyeing, so when I do I shall count the seconds... it happens fast though. I think I have a new addiction to turning things blue! It's such fun.

Laura Fry said...

It is amazing. I'm reading about the Murex dyes right now - another totally amazing phenomenon! Not something I'm about to try, though!

Cheers,
Laura

Meg said...

The last three photos are just fascinating! Chanting colors right in front of your eyes like this? I really want to go look for indigo seeds now!

deborah said...

These two posts are wonderful and I am in awe of your skill and patience.I love the blue shades and would really enjoy weaving them.Thank you so much for such a detailed post it will definately be referred to when I start my blue phase!!!
So pleased you have recovered. I am enjoying my new Texsolv heddles , thanks to you. I am trying to make myself wrtite a post !!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, capturing the changes as the indigo undergoes its magical transformation! I wish I had thought to do the same. And a great idea to use even the weakened bath -- the paler shades are lovely!

Life Looms Large said...

Wow - that is so cool. For some reason I thought the color change would be a long slow process, not that it would happen in minutes.

So cool!

That color really is beautiful (as are the blues of course!)

Sue

Helen said...

Hi Dorothy I have had this too the remaining dye bath does seem to be very yellow so presumably there is some yellow dye in Persicaria Tinctoria. Did you try warming it and adding a little reducing agent? There may still have been more pigment. The jade colour may also be because the pH is low when indigo does give green shades.
best Wishes Helen

Freyalyn said...

I just love dyeing with indigo, whether from leaves or bought powder. There's something so amazing about the yellow to blue in the air. Great blog entry.

Barbara Blundell said...

Lovely shades ! Great post. Hope you are feeling better. It looks like it !